A divorce is an unpleasant experience. And, when there is a lawsuit filed for a divorce, several issues like division of assets, child custody, etc., need to be addressed. Hiring a divorce lawyer helps streamline different aspects of a divorce.
Here’s what a divorce lawyer can do for you:
- Objective Counsel: There is no denying that a divorce can be painful and could impact the future of both spouses. A divorce lawyer can explain the repercussions of the divorce on various aspects like custody, support, etc. His unbiased advice offers you a different perspective on the divorce and can probably save the marriage.
- Establishing Grounds: The grounds for seeking a divorce need to be established. A petition for dissolution of a marriage may be fault-based or no-fault. A fault-based petition may be filed for faults like adultery, cruelty, abuse, or incarceration. In case of no-fault divorce, the party filing the petition does not have to prove any specific “fault” in the relationship. Your divorce lawyer will help establish the grounds for seeking a divorce that protects your interests.
- Collate Data on Marital Assets: The distribution of marital assets is a vital part of a marriage annulment. Many a time, one of the spouses in the marriage may not be aware of the assets and liabilities of the couple. Your divorce lawyer collects all the data about the assets owned for a fair distribution.
- Explain Division of Property: In the US, states follow different principles when it comes to the distribution of property. A state may be an equitable distribution state or community property state. The state in which the divorce is filed plays a vital role in determining how the property is divided. Besides this, aspects such as prenuptial, postnuptial agreements, and the property that either spouse may have brought into the marriage, impact property division between spouses. An experienced divorce lawyer understands all factors that affect property division between the spouses and explains it to his client. He also ensures that his clients’ best interests are protected, and there is a fair division of property.
- Spousal Support: A divorce lawyer helps his clients understand whether they are entitled to spousal support or they need to pay one. In some marriages, a spouse may be entitled to a portion of the business interest of his/her partner. Besides, in some marriages, an individual may be entitled to a portion of his/her spouse’s pension too. A divorce attorney understands the nuances of spousal support and ensures that his clients’ best interests are protected.
- Child Custody: Child custody is an aspect of divorce that requires the lawyer to assess the needs of the child. The divorce lawyer needs to chalk out a parenting plan that takes care of the child’s needs.
Besides these, a divorce lawyer helps draft the divorce papers and completes the other aspects of documentation. He negotiates the terms of the divorce so that it meets the needs of his clients.
If you need legal help in a divorce case, connect with the best lawyers at Ward K Johnson Law Firm!